Student Outcomes (SOs)
The student learning outcomes (SOs) of the mechanical engineering program at Jazan University, listed below, are derived directly from ABET Criterion 3 in the updated version (2019 – 2020). The SOs are subject to formal review on an annual basis by the mechanical engineering faculty, and the mechanical engineering advisory board (MEAB). No substantial changes have been made to the ABET 1-7 criteria since the consensus derived is in line with and related to skills, knowledge, and behaviors that we expect our students to acquire by the time of graduation. In addition, the SOs listed here are in line with the SOs to be submitted to the National Commission for Academic Accreditation and Assessment (NCAAA). At the time of graduation, students of the mechanical engineering program should be able to demonstrate:
- SO 1: an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- SO 2: an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- SO 3: an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- SO 4: an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- SO 5: an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- SO 6: an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- SO 7: an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.